The next Southwest Conference UCC Widening the Welcome Team Ministry meeting will be held this Saturday, October 3, 2015, 1:00 PM. Room #5, First Congregational UCC Phoenix. The speaker for our meeting will be Rev. Rich Doerrer-Peacock. He is an ordained United Church of Christ minister and a Widening the Welcome Team Ministry participant. He will be sharing his personal mission statement with us: "Creating Christ-like Connections across Cultures" / "Crear conexiones de Cristo a traves culturas". His dominant "cultures" have been the Hispanic community, people with mental illness, and people without homes. He would like to share what that was like for him at South Mountain Community Church and now at Primera Iglesia Metodista Unida. His basic "tools" have been listening, being present, discerning God in the midst, and setting up boundaries of what he can and cannot do using his experience in Al-Anon.
Lisa Roger, our speaker last month, led a discussion of Accessible to All at the First Congregational UCC Phoenix that included two members of Widening the Welcome team Ministry, Debe Knaack and Robert Koth. These action items can be a starting point for implementing the "Any Body, Every Body, Christ's Body" in your congregation.
- Partner with the Mental Health Task Force Team to utilize the first section of the "Any Body, Every Body, Christ's Body" document to create worship service pieces and a study group (with Pastor James' permission perhaps incorporate into a future Thursday Spiritual Development session)
- Partner with other SWC churches to promote congregation member delegate participation when the Widening the Welcome team presents at the next SWC Annual Meeting.
- Talk to Nelson Mendoza about including some of the "Any Body, Every Body, Christ's Body" dialogue at a future Theology Uncorked.
- Piggy back on the popular film series already in place at First Church and show one of the films suggested in "Any Body, Every Body, Christ's Body" - follow up with a discussion group.
- Suggest that the Worship and Music team review the list of Multi-sensory worship ideas to see if there are more ways to fully embrace all in our worship service. (We are already utilizing many of them in our worship service).
- Share the Usher education guidelines in "Any Body, Every Body, Christ's Body" and consider adding them as a policy for all future usher instruction.
- Create an interactive moment highlighting disability awareness for a future worship service.
- Create handouts and place articles in our newsletter concerning disability issues.
- Partner with the First Church Mental Health Task Force Team to participate in Mental Health (http://mhn-ucc.blogspot.com/p/mental-health-sunday.html) and Access (http://uccdm.org/programs/access-sunday) Sundays.
- Work with Tom Greiner and rest of the Green Team to prioritize and create budgets for disability driven facility changes.
Your input on these suggest action items is encouraged.